With the arrival of COVID-19 in 2019, we are getting familiar with some common words and you can say habits that become part of our habitual. As doctors and scientists were still engaged to find the antinodes, it is suggested to the people to be a self-quarantine, isolate, maintain social distance, and maintain proper hygiene. These terms are forthcoming for limiting the spread of the COVID-19 virus. You likely have a lot of questions regarding these terms, so let me start with differentiating 'self-isolation' and 'social distance'.
Self- isolation means separating yourself from the outside world if you are experiencing any symptoms or confirmed to have a contagious disease like the coronavirus. Its purpose is to keep others safe and prevent others from the ill effects of this transmittable disease from spreading. In isolation, a person should be kept in a room without having any physical contact with anyone. It is the most effective way of halting the spread of the coronavirus.
Social distancing is a premeditated measure to restrict or confine one another from catching any serious communicable disease. Setting apart or refraining from touching can be functional for maintaining this virus from dispersing all over. It is beneficial for the people to follow some distance socially, washing hands or sanitizing yourself, work from home, or if essential then only you can go outside by properly covering yourself.
Self-isolation and social distancing are now become the most common measure around the world to help people from getting attacked by this threat of life. There are some ways through which we can practice these measures. As isolation is of 14 days, here are some basic suggestions you should follow thoroughly.
1. As it's a transmittable disease, it is suggested to keep a distance from the outside world. Being in isolation you are not supposed to go for work, school, or any public places; work from home instead.
3. No use of public transports, don’t get out for food or medicine; order it online.
4. Maintain a certain distance of about 2 meters from your family, friends, or colleagues. You should not share dishes, drinking glasses, towels, pillows with other people in your family.
5. Maintain hygiene; wash your hands frequently throughout the day, cover your nose and mouth while coughing and sneezing with a tissue, you can also use hand sanitizer.
6. While breastfeeding, you have to take some precautions –
· Wash your hands before touching the baby, the breast pump, or the bottle.
· Avoiding coughing or sneezing while feeding at the breast.
· Cleaning any breast pump after each use.
· Considering asking someone who is well to feed your expressed breast milk to the baby.
Social distancing has proven to be a very effective measure for slowing the spread of the coronavirus. Currently, to reduce the spread of COVID-19, the CDC recommends that people stay at least 6 feet from each other. Along with that, we should take some easy but very significant measures.
1. Avoid social gatherings until and unless the situation is stable. Don't invite family and friends especially older elders as they can easily get affected.
2. Neglect the use of public transports; either travel with your vehicle or book a cab if it's an emergency.
3. Don't get panic about buying supplies. Keep your home stocked with supplies to last for a couple of days, so you don't have to keep going outside for groceries.
4. Keep yourself updated on the current situation through reputed sources like the WHO.
5. If you’ve just returned from a trip abroad, quarantine yourself for 14 days as suggested by the government.
6. Maintaining hygiene is very important and significant. Always wear a mask outside and wash or sanitize your hands frequently, especially after any physical contact.
To slower the physical contacts many government leaders responded by shutting down all non-essential activities. People were facing multiple complications along with this disease that is depression and anxiety. The world is getting suppressed by the reduction in every way whether it's economically, socially, physically, or mentally. Mental instability is very common these days. But as we are getting so much time with ourselves we can learn new things and keep ourselves busy that can help us to avoid loneliness.
Social distancing and self-isolation are extreme measures that are dramatically affecting how most people live their lives. Though it is challenging, it is the only way we can collectively attempt to slow the coronavirus outbreak. The more people who comply with these regulations, the sooner our lives will return to normal.